Next Previous Up Contents
Up: Release Notes
Releases to date have been as follows:
Version 0.1b (29 April 2005)
- First public release
Version 0.2b (30 June 2005)
- Added Times func class for MJD-ISO8601 time conversions.
- Fixed bug when doing NULL_ test expressions on first column in table.
Version 1.0b (30 September 2005)
- This is the first non-experimental release of STILTS, and
it incorporates major changes and backward incompatibilities
since version 0.2b.
- The parameter system has undergone a complete rewrite;
there is now only a single command "
invoked using the
stilts script or the
stilts.jar jar file, and the various tasks are
named as subsequent arguments on the command line.
Command arguments are supplied after that.
The new invocation syntax is described in detail elsewhere in
this document. As well as invocation features such
as improved on-line help, optional prompting,
parameter defaulting, and more uniform access to common features,
this will make it more straightforward to wrap these tasks
for use in non-command-line environments, such as behind a
SOAP or CORBA interface, or in a CEA-like execution environment.
- A new command
tmatch2 has been introduced.
This provides flexible and efficient crossmatching between
two input tables. Future releases will provide commands for
intra-table and multi-table matching.
- A new command
tcat has been introduced, which
allows two tables to be glued together top-to-bottom.
This is currently working but very rudimentary - improvements
will be forthcoming in future releases.
- A new utility command
calc has been introduced,
which performs one-line expression evaluations from the
- The following new filter commands for use in
and other commands have been introduced:
addskycoords: calculates new
celestial coordinate pair from existing ones
(FK4, FK5, ecliptic, galactic, supergalactic)
replacecol: replaces column data,
using existing metadata
badval: replaces given 'magic'
value with null
replaceval: replaces given 'magic'
value with any specified value
tablename: edits table name
stream parameter of
allows you to write filter commands in an external file, to
facilitate more manageable command lines.
Wildarding for column specification is now allowed for some
- New functions for converting time values between different
coordinate systems (Modified Julian Date, ISO-8601,
Julian Epoch and Besselian Epoch).
- New RANDOM special function.
- SUN/256 has undergone many changes. Much of the tool
documentation is now automatically generated from the code
itself, which goes a long way to ensuring that the documentation
is correct with respect to the current state of the code.
Version 1.0-1b (7 October 2005)
- Fixed jar file manifest bug which prevented working on Java 1.5
Version 1.1 (10 May 2006)
- A number of new features and capabilities have been introduced:
- The new tcube command
calculates N-dimensional histograms (density maps) from N columns
of an input table and writes the result to a FITS file.
- The following new filters
have been added:
stats filter provides the same information as
stats output mode, but allows much more
flexible use of the results. It can also calculate many new
quantities, including quantiles, skew and kurtosis.
meta filter provides the same information as
meta output mode, but allows much more
flexible use of the results.
assert filter provides in-pipeline logical
uniq filter collapses multiple adjacent identical
or similar rows.
sorthead filter provides a (usually) more
efficient method of doing what you could previously do
colmeta filter adds/modifies metadata for selected
check filter checks table in stream - for debugging
Additionally usage of the
sort filter has been changed
so that it can now do everything that
sortexpr used to
be able to do;
sortexpr is now withdrawn.
- The following new output modes
have been introduced:
and usage of the following has been modified:
plastic mode broadcasts the table to
one or all registered PLASTIC listeners.
cgi mode writes the table to standard output in a
form suitable for output from a CGI script.
discard mode throws away the table.
topcat mode now attempts to use PLASTIC
(amongst other methods) to contact TOPCAT.
meta modes are mildly
deprecated in favour of the corresponding new filters
Other new features
- New IPAC table format input handler added.
csv-noheader format variant output handler
functions introduced for more control over visual appearance
of numeric values.
- Experimental facilities for automatically generating a CEA
application description file.
Bug fixes and minor improvements
- Now copes with 'K'-format FITS binary table columns
- Improved, though still imperfect, retention of table-wide
metadata in VOTables.
- Distinctions between null and false values in boolean columns are
handled more carefully for FITS and VOTable files.
- Efficiency improvement when writing FITS-plus format
(now only requires a maximum of two passes rather than
three of the input rows).
- Added the
system property which can
optionally work around a bug in some input streams
("Resetting to invalid mark" errors).
- Fixed a bug in Cartesian matching which failed to match
if the required error in any dimension was zero.
- Fixed erroneous reports about unknown
utype attributes of TABLE element in
- When joining tables, column name comparison to determine
whether deduplication is required is now case-insensitive.
- Error message improved when no automatic format detection
is attempted for streamed tables.
istream=true is now less likely to cause a
"Can't re-read stream" error.
Version 1.2 (7 July 2006)
- New features for permitting column-oriented storage
colfits format, new
sideways") have been introduced.
These can provide considerable efficiency improvements for
certain tasks when working with very large (and especially wide)
New VO commands
- Added two new commands for querying Virtual Observatory services:
These tasks are experimental and may be modified or renamed in
- Makes multiple cone search queries to the same service
- Queries the VO registry
transpose filter added.
- Added flux conversion functions (Jansky<->magnitude).
- ISO-8601 strings now permit times of 24:00:00 as they should.
Version 1.2-1 (3 August 2006)
- Tab-Separated Table (TST) format now supported for reading and
- Added ICRS coordinate system for
- TUCDnn header cards now used in FITS files to transmit UCDs
- Efficiency improvements for column-oriented access.
Version 1.3 (5 October 2006)
- The old
tcat command has been replaced by more capable
Between them these provide concatenation of an unlimited number of
homogeneous or heterogeneous input tables.
Additional columns may be added to indicate which of the input tables
given output rows originated from.
Parameter value indirection
- Certain parameters
cmd and friends)
may now be specified in the form "@filename".
This indicates that the value for the parameter is to be obtained
by reading it from the named file.
This is useful if a very long value is required for the parameter
in question. The
script parameter of
tpipe has therefore been
withdrawn, since it did just the same thing.
- Direct access to the MySpace virtual file system is now provided
by use of
- Time conversion functions between MJD and Decimal Year have
fromHex numeric conversion
functions have been added
- The HTML version of SUN/256 now uses CSS to provide better
- The Output Modes and
Processing Filter sections are
now split into subsections to make the table of contents
- The Command Reference section now
has only one level of subsection listed in the table of
contents to make it clearer.
Other new features and improvements
-J flag to
for passing flags directly to Java.
- Added new
out parameter to
-ifshape flags to
exact match mode in
now copes with array-valued columns.
force parameter to
as a workaround for some broken services.
- Added Sample (as opposed to Population) Standard Deviation/Variance
calculation options to the
- Improved CEA description file output - now contains details of
all tasks rather than just a few, as well as various
improvements in documentation etc.
- Fixed erroneous complaints from
utype attribute on RESOURCE elements.
- Fixed a couple of minor crossmatching bugs (which wouldn't
have affected results).
Version 1.3-1 (Starlink Hokulei release)
- New command
- Output to MySpace can now be streamed, if running under J2SE1.5 or
- Slight changes to parameters for
- Fixed bug in handling of single quotes in FITS file metadata.
-bench flag to
- Various scalability improvements for use with very large (Tb?)
- Improved efficiency for
output formats (now one-pass not two-pass).
- Improved CEA app-description file, including especially option lists
for things like input and output formats.
- Added README.cea file to distribution.
- Fixed problem which could mis-report VOTable out of memory errors
as Broken Pipe.
- Added Vega<->AB magnitude conversion constants to
duptag parameters to tmatch2
task for customised renaming of columns with duplicated names.
- Added hyperbolic trig functions to
- Added cosmology distance calculations in class
funcs task, a browser for
expression language function documentation.
-checkversion to list of
Version 1.3-2 (6 July 2007)
- Added optional
table parameter to
(for access to table parameters).
- Can use table parameter names in expressions using
param$ notation (Section 9.2).
- Can reference columns/parameters by UCD by using
in expressions (Section 9.1)
and as column identifiers (Section 6.2).
- Improved deduplication of column names when joining tables.
- Fix error in output of FITS table
cards - write them as numeric not string values.
- Improve error message for broken CSV files.
- Modified JDBC handling so that MySQL and PostgreSQL do not run out
of heap memory when streaming large datasets for input.
Think I've done the same for SQL Server, but this is not tested.
- Improve error reporting in the presence of a deficient JVM
(such as GNU
- Add locale-specific
formatDecimalLocal functions in
functions in class
- Fix bug which was causing NullPointerExceptions
Version 1.3-3 (4 Sep 2007)
- Experimental, and currently undocumented,
task introduced, along with some classes in package
uk.ac.starlink.ttools.cone designed for library use by
AstroGrid DSA code.
- CEA description of
parameter now has
minoccurs=0, since that can be true
for exact matches.
Version 1.3-4 (10 Sep 2007)
Version 1.3-5 (30 Oct 2007)
-stderr flags to
- Some bugs fixed in generation of CEA
- Documentation provided for
- Fixed error in
Version 1.4 (6 December 2007)
- This version provides more cross matching functionality.
Added to the existing
command are new tasks:
stripped down version of
tmatch2 for ease of use when
matching with sky coordinates.
internal matcher, finds groups of objects within a table.
finds group or multiple-pair matches between multiple (>2)
Two tasks have been renamed for improved clarity and consistency:
There has also been some enhancement and rationalisation of
parameters for all table join tools (
tmatch* as well as
- All table join commands now use similar
suffix* parameters to control renaming of duplicated
columns in output tables (note this replaces the old
duptag* parameters in
- Crossmatching tasks have a new
which allows you to configure whether progress is reported to the
copycols parameter of
sqlskymatch now defaults to "
(include all columns from input table in the output).
Section 7 of the manual has been somewhat
rearranged and improved.
- FITS reader now imports table HDU header cards as table parameters.
- CeaWriter can now output CEA service definition XML config file as
well as app-description file (experimental - may be withdrawn).
- Embedded spaces in output ASCII format table column names
are now substituted with underscores.
- Fix a bug which caused an infinite number of dots to be printed
when attempting a crossmatch with an empty input table.
votlint handling of TABLEDATA-type
These are now split up into strings by counting characters rather
than using whitespace delimiters.
I think it's doing the right thing now.
Version 1.4-1 (28 January 2008)
New RDBMS-related features
- New command
which is a general JDBC-based SQL command-line client.
- New command
which allows updates to existing rows in SQL tables.
- Some changes to
- choice of options for how to write to the database output table,
controlled by new associated parameter
- associated parameter
- associated parameter
db for consistency with other commands
Local and service-based matching command enhancements
- New parameter
scorecol added to
which controls adding a new column to match output tables
containing a goodness-of-match value.
- New parameter
parallel added to
which allows multiple cone searches to be carried out in
- New parameter
erract added to
coneskymatch which controls response to
isolated failures in individual cone search queries.
- Improved error reporting (reasons for errors are now reported
even without the
- Add new help option
help='*' which prints help for
all parameters of a task at once.
- Added (mostly undocumented)
for reducing verbosity level.
- Minor improvements to CEA app-description.
- Downgraded from WARNING to INFO log messages about
the (extremely common) VOTable syntax error of omitting
a FIELD/PARAM element's
Version 1.4-2 (26 March 2008)
progress parameter to
emptyok parameter to
- Fixed pair matching performance bug (slower if tables were not
given in the right order) introduced at v1.4.
- Fixed null handling error in
- Fixed error in
stats filter cardinality value
- Fixed minor bugs in suffix addition for matching commands
- Removed unformatted XML output in
- Try to avoid exponential format in cone search URLs
(some endpoints seem to require fixed point format).
- Minor CEA fixes.
Version 2.0b (23 October 2008)
- This version contains two new major items, plotting and server mode.
Both work, but are missing desirable features and have not had extensive
testing in the field, so should be considered experimental at this stage.
- Two table plotting commands are now provided:
See also the new Plotting
section in the manual.
- A new command
provided which allows STILTS commands to be executed via HTTP.
One purpose of this is to facilitate server-side use of the
plotting commands co-located with data to generate on-the-fly
graphical summaries of server-held datasets.
Smaller enhancements and bugfixes
- Efficiency improvements (~25%? in both CPU time and memory usage)
for HEALPix-based sky crossmatching
(thanks to Nikolay Kouropatkine at Fermilab for a new version of
the PixTools library).
- New class Arrays
added to algebraic functions.
- New Appendix Commands by Category
added to manual.
(max/min ignoring blank values) in class
- Sexagesimal field identification for ASCII input files
is less stringent
(now permits minutes or seconds equal to 60).
- Minor CEA fixes.
- HEALPix bug fix
(PixTools bug fix update).
- Fix bug in use of
Version 2.0-1 (23 December 2008)
- Can reference columns/parameters by Utype by using
in expressions (Section 9.1)
and as column identifiers (Section 6.2).
- Non-alphanumeric column names may now be used for algebraic expressions
in the special case that the expression is just the value of a
regquery command has changed in implementation,
data access, and output format. It now queries VOResource1.0
registries rather than the very out of date registry protocol which
was used in earlier versions.
Version 2.0-2 (9 January 2009)
- Added new samp output mode which passes
the generated table to clients using the SAMP protocol.
- Updated the topcat output mode to use
SAMP as one way of communicating with a running TOPCAT.
-version flag now reports starjava subversion revision
as well as other items.
Version 2.0-3 (27 March 2009)
- Fits BINTABLE TZERO/TSCAL value reading improvements:
- Columns with integer TZERO values now read as integers
rather than floating point values where possible.
This includes unsigned longs ('K'), which were previously
represented as doubles with lost precision.
Unsigned longs which are too large however (>263)
are read as nulls.
- Byte-valued columns can now be written out by
handler as signed byte values (TFORM=B,TZERO=-128)
rather than signed shorts (TFORM=I).
- More comprehensive testing.
- Fixed bug in calculating value scaled double ('D') values.
- Fixed bug in typing value for scaled float ('E') arrays.
- Fixed bug which caused registry queries (
to fail for Java 1.6.
- Fix minor bugs in detail of
votlint's validation tests
(VOTABLE element content model,
INFO and PARAM and FIELD required attributes).
- Report application name and version in User-Agent header of outgoing
- The fixed length Substring Array Convention for string arrays
is now understood for FITS binary tables.
- Minor SAMP bugs fixed (JSAMP upgraded to 0.3-1).
Version 2.0-4 (17 July 2009)
- Work around J2SE mark/reset bug when loading table direct from URL.
- Produce null rather than nonsense results from sky coordinate
conversions with unphysical latitudes
- Produce null rather than questionable results from sexagesimal
conversions with mins/secs out of range.
- Fix two bugs in
votcopy: XML processing instructions
garbled on output, and pathnames in
inappropriately flattened in hrefs attribute values.
Version 2.0-5 (2 Oct 2009)
- VOTable 1.2 supported.
votlint can now validate VOTable documents following
the (provisional, 2009-09-29 PR) VOTable 1.2 standard.
- Namespacing of VOTable documents made more intelligent, and
configurable using the
votlint now checks that the correct XML namespaces are
- Be more careful in XML, including VOTable, output;
fix VOTable output encoding to be UTF-8,
and ensure no illegal XML characters are written.
- HTML table output is now HTML 4.01 by default
(includes THEAD and TBODY tags).
parse* string->numeric conversion
functions now cope with leading or trailing whitespace.
- Work around illegally truncated type declarations in IPAC tables.
- Fix a bug which caused the first table in a multi-table file
(FITS or VOTable) to be used in streaming mode, even if
a subsequent one was requested.
- Bug fixed in crossmatching output: entries which should have been
null were sometimes written as non-null (typically large negative
numbers) in FITS and in non-TABLEDATA VOTable output.
This affected cells in otherwise non-nullable columns
where the entire row was absent. The previous behaviour is not
likely to have been mistaken for genuine results.
Version 2.1 (6 November 2009)
Note that the STIL API used by this release has changed in some
backwardly incompatible ways, and may change further.
If you're using STILTS as a library rather than an application
you might want to wait for a later release when the API has settled down.
coneskymatch can now match using SIA and SSA
services as alternatives to Cone Search ones
(see its new
- Fixed an obscure bug which could under rare circumstances cause
truncation of strings with leading/trailing whitespace read
from text-format files.
- A new
startable.storage policy "
is now the default. This should mean running out of memory less
often. The old behaviour can be restored by giving the new
-memory command line flag.
Version 2.1-1 (21 December 2009)
- Plotting commands can now output to PDF as well as existing graphics
- New filter
- Fixed internationalisation bug which could cause
coneskymatch to fail in locales that use ","
for a decimal point.
- Significant performance improvements related to the case of VOTable
documents containing many tables.
Version 2.1-2 (24 March 2010)
This is a jython (i.e. Python, though not CPython)
interface to the STILTS commands.
It is believed to be fully working, but somewhat experimental -
feedback is encouraged.
- Considerable performance and scalability improvements to the
For several common regimes, using default settings,
memory use has been decreased by a
factor of about 5, and CPU time reduced by a factor of about 3.
- Add optional tuning parameters to crossmatch commands
Experimentation with these can lead to significant performance
improvements for given matches.
- Fixed a crossmatch bug; it was giving a possibility of
match assignments when pair matching in crowded fields.
Crossmatch results thus may differ between earlier versions
and this one. Both are reasonable, but the newer behaviour is
more correct. In non-crowded fields, there should be no change.
- Further performance improvement for VOTable documents with
very many TABLEs.
- Memory management adjusted further - default (Adaptive) storage policy
now uses direct allocation (=
for intermediate-sized buffers
to avoid running out of java heap space.
- New option "
This allows you to get an output table with exactly one row for
each row of the input table.
- New flag
-memgui to monitor memory usage during runs.
- Add new filter
- Add new functions to
array functions for constructing arrays,
and new aggregating functions
- Syntax of the crossmatching commands'
has changed; it now has an additional option which will write
limited profiling information as well as logging as the match
ylabel parameter to
sequential filters have
respectively. This provides a better idea of what they do.
Since they are only useful for debugging, it is unlikely that this
will break anyone's existing code.
- New filter
random introduced which converts tables
to random-access if necessary.
- Document previously undocumented
legend parameter to
- Matching commands
matcher parameters can now accept
MatchEngine implementation classes as
- Classes are now distributed as a zip of jars
stilts_jars.zip) as an alternative to
the monolithic jar file (
This may be more appropriate for those using STILTS classes in a
framework that contains other third party class libraries.
- Adjusted the way that data types are read from JDBC databases.
Date, Time and Timestamp typed columns will now be converted to Strings
which means they can be written to most output formats
(previously they were omitted from output tables).
- STILTS no longer attempts to communicate with TOPCAT using SOAP.
TOPCAT's SOAP interface has been deprecated since v2.1 (2006),
so this isn't likely to cause trouble, and it permits removal of
SOAP (Axis) classes from the application jar file, saving several
megabytes and reducing potential version clash problems.
- Fix bug in code for handling very large mapped FITS files.
This was causing fatal read errors in some cases.
Version 2.2 (6 August 2010)
- New capabilities for multi-table I/O have been introduced:
There are some additional enhancements:
- New multi-table output tasks
These currently just copy multiple input tables to a single
multi-table container file (e.g. Multi-Extension FITS or
multi-TABLE VOTable). Future releases may generalise the output of
multi parameter introduced for
tmulti tasks to pick up all tables in a
multi-table container file.
- New JyStilts functions
for multi-table I/O.
And a number of bug fixes:
- Added experimental name-resolution filter
this currently uses Sesame.
- Added filter
repeat, which repeats table rows a
given number of times.
- Recognise unofficial column type "
long" in IPAC format
- Better behaviour (warn + failover) when attempting to read large
files on 32-bit OS or JVM.
- Efficiency warning now issued for large compressed FITS files.
- Upgraded PixTools HEALPix library to 2010/02/09 version.
This fixes a bug that could theoretically cause deficient crossmatch
results, though I haven't managed to produce such errors.
- Fixed bug in TST table output.
- Fixed bug in FITS-plus metadata output
(table parameters were getting lost).
- Corrected literature references in Fluxes conversion class
documentation (thanks to Mattia Vaccari).
- Fixed bug in CSV file parsing that could ignore header row in
absence of non-numeric columns.
- Shape and ElSize metadata items now correctly reported by
- Fixed JyStilts bug when supplying an empty string for a parameter
Finally, from this release STILTS requires version 1.5 (a.k.a. 5.0)
of the Java J2SE Runtime Environment; it will no longer run on
version 1.4, which is now very old. I don't expect this to cause
compatibility issues for anyone, but I'm interested to hear if that's
not the case.
Version 2.2-1 (23 December 2010)
- Storage management improvements; removed restriction on large
(>2Gb) non-FITS datasets in some circumstances.
- Efficiency improvement in sequential mapped access to large FITS
- Fix so FITS tables >2Gb can provide random access in 32-bit mode
(though slower than 64-bit).
- FITS files now store table names in EXTNAME (and possibly EXTVAR)
- Window placement for the few GUI tasks should now behave a bit more
like platform norms, rather than sitting in the top left hand
- HTML table output now writes cell contents which look like URLs
in HTML <A> tags.
- Basic authorization (
table URLs handled.
- Fixed file pointer int overflow bug in FITS MultiMappedFiles.
Version 2.3 (9 May 2011)
- The new commands
tapresume have been introduced.
These provide support for the Table Access Protocol (TAP),
and allow freeform queries in an SQL-like language to be
made to remote databases.
- Random Groups HDUs are now tolerated, though not interpreted,
within FITS files.
soapout parameter to
stdev functions to
- Upgrade to JSAMP v1.2.
- Improve text rendering in
funcs window display.
- Attempt case-sensitive matching before case-insensitive for
replaceval filter to work with Infinities.
Bug fixes and workarounds
- JDBC table input handler now effectively downcasts
BigInteger/BigDecimal types to Long/Double.
The PostgreSQL JDBC driver seems to use the Big* types routinely
for numeric values (which I don't think it used to do).
- Add workaround for J2SE bug
which could cause errors when reading compressed FITS files.
- Fix FITS character handling bug which could cause corrupted FITS
files on output in presence of non-ASCII characters.
- Fix (some) JDBC connection leaks.
- Add missing parameters
Version 2.3-1 (30 June 2011)
- Added new command
This is a validator for TAP (Table Access Protocol) services.
It is only likely to be useful to people developing or operating
- ASCII table parsers now understand python-friendly
- Added new constants to expression language
- Fixed a significant bug in sky crossmatching.
If all points in a table were on one side of the RA=0 line,
but the error radius extended across that line, matches on the
other side could be missed. Matches could also be missed if
different tables used different conventional ranges for RA
(e.g. -180..180 in one case and 0..360 in another).
This fix may in some, but not most, cases result in slower matching
coneskymatch cone search verbosity parameter so that
VERB=3 is not erroneously ignored.
Version 2.4 (27 October 2011)
- Two new asymmetric match options
best2 have been added
find parameter in the pair matching commands
They correspond to finding the best match in table B for each row
in table A, and in crowded fields often provide more intuitive
semantics than the previous symmetric
(in non-crowded fields there is generally no difference).
This replicates the matching performed by some other tools,
- New matchers have been added to permit matching of general
elliptical, rather than just circular, regions in both planar
and sky coordinates; see
- Another new matcher is available for dealing with per-object
errors in Cartesian coordinates (previously per-object errors
could only be handled in sky coords); see
- Semantics of the
matcher have changed slightly.
Expression language functions:
- Algebraic functions involving angles are now mostly available
using degrees as well as radians.
Coords class has been replaced by
classes providing sky coordinate functions,
and a new class
provides normal degree-based trigonometric functions
alongside the radian-based versions in
Some of the old function names have changed to make clear that they
use radians and not degrees.
This change should be much more convenient in most cases;
sorry it's taken so long to get round to.
- Add new
join function is added to the
to combine all the elements of an array into a string.
- There are several bugfixes and changes related to the
TAP validator tool
taplint, mostly thanks to bug
reports etc from the TAP community:
- Improve test logic for record limiting queries.
- Errors no longer reported (e.g. E-Qxx-CNAM)
for unexpected TAP_SCHEMA table column ordering
(when running query stage but no metadata acquisition stages).
- Add new stage MDQ, which checks query result columns for all
tables against declared metadata.
- Add check of versioned and unversioned LANG variants.
- Now uses corrected upload ID
as per most recent TAPRegExt draft.
Bug fixes and minor enhancements:
- Add parameter
allowing pre-send syntax checking of submitted ADQL.
- Add experimental system properties
- Improve resilience of
coneskymatch in the presence of
unreliable or inconsistent DAL services.
- A PARAMref element with no referent in a VOTable
no longer causes an uncaught NullPointerException.
Version 2.5 (28 March 2013)
New coverage-related functionality:
- Add new command
which can sample pixel data from HEALPix table files
(useful for things like Schlegel dust extinction).
which does the same job.
- Add new command
which can generate MOC (Multi-Order Coverage) maps.
- Add MOC-based coverage filter to
when using some Cone Search services (mostly VizieR).
This uses the Multi-Order Coverage map service operated by CDS.
It can make VizieR multi-cone queries much faster by not doing
cone searches that are outside the coverage region of the
catalogue in question.
- Add new class
to the expression language containing MOC-related functions
Other new capabilities:
- Add IPAC table output format.
- Add new class
to the expression language,
containing a method for calculating K-corrections
following the method of Chilingarian and Zolotukhin.
- You can now reference tables in multi-extension FITS files by name
(EXTNAME or EXTNAME-EXTVER) as an alternative to by HDU index.
- VOTable input, output and validation are now supported
for version 1.3 of the VOTable standard.
- The version of the VOTable format used for VOTable output
can now be selected,
by using the system property
Output version is VOTable 1.2 by default.
votlint has been changed so that it handles
different VOTable versions more capably.
Versions 1.1+ are now validated against a schema
(which is how those versions are defined) rather than against
a DTD hacked to do the same job as the schema.
VOTable 1.3 validation is now provided.
votcopy command has a new
parameter to control output version,
and a new
nomagic parameter to control whether
null attributes are removed
- Infinite floating point values are now correctly encoded
in VOTable output ("
-Infinity" as in
votlint is now stricter about floating point
TD element contents.
- VOTable output no longer writes the
attribute by default.
- Add new function
Maths class in expression language.
- Add new
split functions for string splitting
Strings class in expression language.
-utype flags for
utype option for
- Some changes to the
it now works on non-numeric values,
gives the right answer for
and character values,
and returns a blank value rather than the string "null" or "NaN"
for blank inputs.
- Sexagesimal to numeric angle conversion functions now permit the
seconds part of the sexagesimal string to be missing.
- Changes to the IPAC format definition are accommodated:
the "long"/"l" type, which is apparently now official,
no longer generates a warning, and headers may now use
minus signs instead of whitespace.
OBS stage (ObsTAP validation)
- Add more checks to
CAP stage of
Declared languages (including features) and output formats are
- Tidy up error reporting a bit (fewer duplicate nested messages
- PNG graphics output no longer has transparent background.
- Issue a warning for high values of
- Upgrade JSAMP library to version 1.3-3.
- Upgrade Grégory Mantelet's ADQL library to version 1.1.
- Fix serious and long-standing bug
(bad TZERO header, causes subsequent reads to fail)
for FITS output of boolean array columns.
- Fix small but genuine sky matching bug.
The effect was that near the poles matches near the specified
threshold could be missed. The bug was in the PixTools library,
fixed at the 2012-07-28 release.
- Fix bug in
tmatchn group mode which could result in
output rows with columns from only a single table,
i.e. not representing an inter-table match,
- Fix bug which failed when attempting to read FITS files with
complex array columns (
- Fix failure when caching very large sequential tables.
- Fix bug in
filters which could cause truncation of strings in FITS
and possibly VOTable output when the new value was longer
than the previously declared maximum length.
tcatn so that in most cases
output column metadata is compatible with all input tables, not
just the first one in terms of nullability, array shape etc.
- Adjust SQL writer to avoid a type error for MySQL.
- Fix bug in HMS sexagesimal formatting: minus sign was omitted from
negative angles. Now the output is forced positive.
- Cope with 1-column CSV files.
- Use the correct form "
rather than "
for TAP capability unit values.
- Fix error bar rendering bug which could result in diagonal lines
being offset near the edge of plots.
Next Previous Up Contents
Up: Release Notes
STILTS - Starlink Tables Infrastructure Library Tool Set
Starlink User Note256
STILTS web page: